Your airline tickets include the following fees in addition to the airline fare; Narita or Haneda Airport Passenger Facility fee, fuel surcharge, air security insurance fee, international tourist tax and airport departure fee of the country(s) you are visiting. Travel to the United States: US immigration, customs and agriculture fees are also included. Travel to foreign countries: Majority of airport service fees and departure taxes are included in the airline tickets but there are some countries that collect these fees upon departure. Please verify with your agent if all fees are included in your airline ticket price.

Tourist passports are required for all international travel unless you are otherwise notified. Passports should be valid for at least 6 months after the scheduled completion date of your travel except China requires 1 year.

You should report to the appropriate airline and/or group counter specified on your itinerary at least 2 hours prior to your departure. You must be prepared to show 2 items proving that you are the person whose name is on the ticket (e.g., ID card, driver’s license, passport). Before departing for the airport, check to be sure you have your passport (with exit/reentry stamp or multiple entry visa for Japan, whichever is applicable), your ID card, and copies of your military leave orders (if you are in the military service), and your luggage tags firmly affixed to your check-in luggage. After you have checked in (to include luggage check-in and receipt of boarding pass), you are free to go through the immigration formalities and enter the departure area. Remember, once you enter that area, you cannot come out. After filling out your embarkation / disembarkation card and clearing immigration, you should go to the appropriate boarding area for your flight, and wait there for your flight number to be called, and then board the plane.

Upon arriving at your destination(s), you will go through immigration and then customs formalities. After your customs examination has been cleared, you will be free to depart the airport.

You are entitled to bring the following items of duty free into Japan for your own personal use or for souvenir.

  • Tobacco…………………….200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 250 grams of tobacco
  • Liquor……………………….3 bottles of about 0.760 liters each of spirits
  • Perfume…………………….57ml of perfume
  • Gifts………………………….and/or souveniers up to JYE100,000-
  • Prohibited items………….articles which infringe upon rights in patents, utility-models, designs, trade marks, copyrights or neighbouring right; counterfeit, altered or imitated coins, paper money, banknotes or securities, all plants with soil, most meat, animals without health certificates, firearms and ammunition, narcotics, obscene articles and publications.

 If you are shipping any merchandise to Japan by commercial carrier, you must declare that merchandise as UNACCOMPANIED BAGGAGE on duplicate forms that can be obtained from your flight attendant. Fill out both copies and present them to the customs inspector when you arrive in Japan. He will stamp both of them, return one to you, and keep the other one. To claim your unaccompanied baggage, you will have to show the declaration, which was properly stamped by the customs inspector. Your unaccompanied baggage must arrive in Japan not later than 6 months from the date you return to Japan.

Most fixed date tickets do not require reconfirmation of your return or onward flight(s) but it is recommended that you to call the airlines at least 72 hours prior to your departure to verify your flight and seat assignments. It is recommend you reconfirm each time you stopover. Failure to reconfirm, when required, may cause you to be cancelled from any remaining flights.

Check-in at the appropriate airline counter 2 hours prior to flight departure. There you will pay your airport departure tax (if required), check your luggage, and receive your boarding pass, and then proceed to the boarding gate to wait for your flight.

During your return flight, fill out your debarkation form, your customs declaration(s) (if required), and your health form.

You are allowed 20 kg (44 lb) on international flights worldwide except for flights to/from the US. The limit for flights to/from the US is 1 piece of checked baggage per person (please check with your airline for size and weight limits for each piece). The weight allowance for domestic flights varies depending on each country and may also vary depending on each individual airline. There may also be limits on the size of individual items. Additionally, you are normally limited to one hand-carry item, which is small enough to fit under the seat in front of you. If you exceed any of the restrictions imposed by any airline you are responsible for any excess weight or size charges. You are also reminded that excess charges may be applied for on-going flights each time you stop over. For example, if you are traveling from Tokyo to Singapore and stop over in Hong Kong for 3 days enroute you must pay the over weight charge when you board in Tokyo and again when you board in Hong Kong. Even if you are not charged for the first leg of your trip you may be charged for the second or subsequent legs.

The airline financial liability for lost luggage is US$9.07 a pound for a maximum of 44 pounds per passenger. No matter what your total luggage weight is, you cannot be paid for more than 44 pounds. All valuables should be hand carried and not placed in your checked luggage.

 You are responsible for payment of any governmental, airline or other fees, which have not specifically been mentioned to you as being included in your ticket or other payment. Such fees may include, but not be limited to, departure taxes, facility user fees, security charges, etc.

Infants traveling with you also require an airline ticket even without a seat.  Infants do not have baggage allowances.

You should make copies of your passport and other travel documents and also keep a record of your airline ticket information including ticket copy. These copies should be kept with you and separate from your original documents. The copies will be extremely useful to you in obtaining replacements if the originals are lost or stolen.

All ACTIVE-DUTY military members on OFFICIAL/UNOFFICIAL/LEAVE; all DoD civilians and non-DoD personnel under DoD sponsorship (over age 14) on OFFICIAL travel OCONUS, its territories or possessions should complete AT Awareness Level I training within 6 months prior to departure.  Personnel should access the FOREIGN COUNTRY CLEARANCE GUIDE WEB LINK for specific instructions on Theater and Country Clearance requirements. Personnel will submit clearance requests via Aircraft and Personnel Automated Clearance System (APACS). APACS automates the process of requesting and approving classified and unclassified diplomatic and personnel clearances via a common, centralized, and secure database.  All personnel must ensure they are in compliance with any required country clearances over and above the US State Department visa requirements. All travel packets must be submitted using the following web site: Travelers can obtain travel warnings from the US State Department at  Additionally, US Army security regulations require that certain Soldiers and DOD Civilians who possess a security clearance report personal foreign travel to their security office.  

You should plan for any immunization requirements and be aware of any health risks for travel by contacting your local clinic or hospital. At Camp Zama you should contact the Travel Clinic at 263-5050 as soon as possible and at least 4 weeks prior to your travel.

 It is highly recommended that you purchase individual travel insurance to cover any unforeseeable expenses that may occur before or during your trip. Please read the coverage carefully before purchasing the insurance.  If you are looking for travel insurance which includes cancellation insurance such insurance cannot be purchased in Japan. However, if you go to you can check information regarding insurance and contact them at the email address or phone number shown to be sure if they will cover you. You must mention to them that you are stationed in Japan and also give them your US home of record so they can quote you the cost and provide the coverage you desire. Please be aware that such coverage may be limited as to what the cancellation policy will cover. Be sure you understand the policy before you complete the purchase.

It is your responsibility to check at the airport before boarding each flight to enter your frequent flyer number or to be sure the frequent flyer number has been entered. You should keep a copy of your ticket and each boarding pass in case you need to reapply for mileage not credited. We cannot provide replacement copies of tickets later than 60 days from date of first flight.

The Zama ITT Office is NOT financially responsible if you miss your flight, for anything lost, damaged or stolen, for any injuries or illnesses, for early or late departures/returns or flight cancellations or accidents of any kind.

Back to Home